Australian star Nick Kyrgios has pulled out of the Sydney Tennis Classic after testing positive for COVID-19.
Kyrgios still wants to play at the Australian Open – starting next Monday – but that will be a race against the clock.
Kyrgios was set to play Italian Fabio Fognini in round one of the Classic tonight.
LIVE UPDATES: Australian Open warm-up tournaments, Djokovic drama
“Hey Everyone, I just want to be open and transparent with everyone, the reason I have had to pull out of Sydney is because I tested positive for Covid,” Kyrgios wrote on Instagram.
“I am feeling healthy at the moment with no symptoms. I wish everyone all the best and to stay safe where you can.
“If all goes well I will see you all at The Australian Open.”
The 2022 Sydney Tennis Classic will be held from January 10-15, with live matches, highlights, mini matches and full match replays on Stan Sport. New customers can start their free trial now by visiting: Stan.com.au/tennis
The world No.114 missed last week’s Melbourne Summer Set with asthma-related issues but said he had repeatedly tested negative for COVID-19.
Kyrgios continues to make headlines off the court and has surprisingly emerged as one of Novak Djokovic’s staunchest supporters amid his immigration row.
German Daniel Altmaier has taken Kyrgios’ spot in the tournament and will meet Fognini tonight.
Nick Kyrgios withdraws from Melbourne Summer Set due to asthma
Kyrgios was reportedly looking the goods in practice.
Commentator Mark Petchey said he had been watching Kyrgios hit ahead of the Sydney Tennis Classic.
“It’s been great to see him, looked in good form, good spirits,” Petchey said on Nine and Stan Sport.
“Wow, what a disappointment for Nick Kyrgios.”
Co-commentator John Fitzgerald added: “Let’s hope his aerobic capacity is OK (for the Australian Open).”
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!