Sports

Nikita Tszyu vs Aaron Stahl


Brisbane’s flood crisis has forced the postponement of Nikita Tszyu’s professional boxing debut.

Tszyu had been due to face unbeaten super welterweight Aaron Stahl (2-0-1) at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre on Wednesday.

That venue is flooded, leaving promoters on the lookout for a new location for the fight. The event will now be held on Thursday, with a new venue to be announced tomorrow at a press conference.

READ MORE: Former Supercars champ Scott McLaughlin wins maiden IndyCar race

READ MORE: ‘Woeful’ loss leaves Penrith scratching heads on eve of NRL season

READ MORE: FIFA refuses to ban Russia from World Cup qualification

Wide World of Sports understands the plan is to keep the fight in Brisbane, although that will depend on the availability of an alternative venue.

Tszyu, 24, is following in the footsteps of father Kostya and older brother Tim, who is unbeaten in 20 fights.

Nikita is a four-time national amateur champion.

“Some people used to describe my brother as a surgeon,” Nikita said in 2021. “They described me as a butcher. We do the same job but in a different way – I’m a little bit more messy.”

According to No Limit Boxing’s George Rose, Nikita has a big future in the sport.

“He’s sent a whole lot of fear through the super-welterweight division… there’s a whole lot of people who aren’t willing to step into the ring with Nikita Tszyu which says a lot about him,” Rose said.

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.